Saturday 4 May 2013

WRUP: Our hipster WoW

WRUP Our hipster WoW
Well, WoW's in the crosswords. We've gone mainstream. Time to pack it all in, trade out our fixie bikes and obsessions with animation and nerd stuff, put on a real suit, and get a real job.

Or... it's time to really get obscure. Our bonus question of the week: Now that WoW has been co-opted by the mainstream media, what truly hipster activity do you embrace to stay unique?

Brewing beer, writing novels, and arguing on the internet doesn't count.


Anne Stickney (@Shadesogrey) Working weekend, as per usual it seems! I might try to get a little WoW in there as well, maybe work on an alt. I don't really think I have any hipster activities, unless mass amounts of remodeling and interior design count - which reminds me, I need to look at drapes or sheers this weekend for the atrium project.

Dan Desmond (@Antigen_) I swear, this is the weekend I'm going to crack into Bioshock Infinite. I won't keep putting it off, I promise.

I'm failing to think of anything I do that's truly "hipster." I think the closest I can get is the fact that I refuse to use LOL. For whatever reason I can't stand it, so instead I use the less emphatic "haha" to emulate digital laughter.

Daniel Whitcomb (@danielwhitcomb) It's Easter for my church, so I won't really have much time to play. I'll probably log on long enough to plant and harvest my crops and use my profession cooldowns. Maybe run a scenario or two.

On the bonus question: I chant Byzantine Chant.

Dawn Moore (@dawnwow) I'll be raiding, writing, and working ... But I will also be playing Final Fantasy VII! Yay! I was excited to find out (through Reddit) that the game was re-released on PC in 2012, and there is a hefty mod pack to polish up the in-game models and fix some soundtrack issues the PC version has. I've even got a USB Playstation controller to make the experience extra special.

Bonus: I'm pretty sure everything I like and do is mainstream. A death knight in my guild thinks I'm pretty fringe for making milkshakes with pudding instead of ice cream, but I can't be the only one who does that. There is one band I like that no one has ever heard of, Kilimanjaro Darkjazz Ensemble, but now you've all heard of it so there goes that.

Elizabeth Wachowski (@leeatwaterlives)I'm working during the day so I am at the mercy of the EMS gods. If they are kind, I will play Skyrim and Dishonored on my laptop; if not, Mass Effect 3 and Lego LOTR at home.

I doubt my habit of researching public housing projects will catch on.

Joe Perez (@lodurzj) writing, painting, reading and playing some Monaco. Super fun little game that is hilarious and well done. Also starting BlizzCon travel prep because I'm slow and ponderous like an Ent when making decisions for travel.

Bonus: I worship the old gods. You've probably never heard of them, and if you did you probably failed your insanity roll.

Lisa Poisso (@lisapoisso) My daughter has been tackling some old-school Mario this week, and it draws everyone in the family to the TV like moths to the flame to cheer her on and sing along with all the music and sound effects. Too much fun! Bonus question: Project 1999 is still fun to me. In terms of gaming styles, however, I suspect that's less hipster and more hippie - or maybe even just hip.

Matt "Matticus" Low (@matticus) Working on some more writing this weekend. Going to poke around a bit more on the PTR for 5.3. The new ARAM (All Random, All Mid) format that was released with League of Legends is a ton of fun! It's a great way to expand your champion pool because you're assigned them randomly.

Matthew Rossi (@MatthewWRossi) I've been rereading Tertullian in regards to his opposition to early Christian heretical offshoots, and then his own slide into heterodox beliefs during his later years. Also some PvP. I especially like to compare and contrast Tertullian's attacks on heresy to the Nag Hammadi scrolls and their emphasis on a more gnostic construction of Christian doctrine - the Valentinian refusal to submit to bishopric influences and their emphasis on the demiurge as a false god figure, for example. I had a nice conversation in LFR yesterday about how Tertullian compares to Irenaeus of Lyons, for example. It made Tortos more interesting.

As for hipster activities and uniqueness, I don't really bother. I run dungeons, raid, occasionally do dailies. I am content.

Olivia Grace (@oliviadgrace) This weekend? More WoW, more relaxing. Maybe some Sim City, too, my people need their mayor, it's been to long. Like Dan, I've had Bioshock Infinite sitting, unplayed, in my Steam account for, well, almost since it launched. I played some Bioshock in preparation, and found myself rather bored by it, so I'm not that excited to jump right into Infinite. But realistically, WoW will take priority. As far as being hip, a hipster, a hip young thing, I've never been good at that. I do, however, have two fixed gear bicycles, a.k.a. fixies. Does that count?

Robin Torres (@cosmiclaurel) I'll be duoing with The Spawn when I'm not helping her study for her standardized tests. Second grade is serious business these days. Otherwise, I have gotten the Civ IV: Beyond the Sword bug again. Just one more turn! Bonus: Does knitting count as hipster these days?

Sarah Pine (@ilaniel) I'm out of town til Sunday, so no gaming for me this weekend. Maybe some WoW when I get home.

My hipster activity? I'm really into perfume, especially indie perfume (they tend to be cheaper). I'm researching how to start making my own. Maybe I'll do a WoW Insider signature scent!
The weekend is the perfect time to kick back, relax and enjoy some game time. Are you an achievement junkie? Can't get enough raiding? Rolling a new alt? Considering taking the leap into roleplaying? Whatever your favorite way to play World of Warcraft , let us know in the comments what you're playing this weekend!

Tags: news, wrup

Filed under: Analysis / Opinion


Source : http://wow.joystiq.com/2013/05/04/wrup-our-hipster-wow/

No comments:

Post a Comment